India is going to celeberate its 72nd Republic Day on 26th Jan, 2021. The Republic Day is celeberated in honour of the date on which the Constitution of India came into effect, since 1950. On 26th Jan, 1950 Constitution of India replaced the GOVERNMENT OF INDIA ACT as the governing document of India.
Dr. B R Ambedkar is the father of Indian Constitution. After India gained Independence from the British rule on August 15, 1947, a need for a written constitution to run the country systematically was felt. On 29th August, 1947 the Constituent Assembly passed a resolution to appoint a ‘Drafting Committee” with seven members including Dr. Ambedkar for preparing a draft of the Constitution of the independent India. The first Minister of Law and Justice of Independent India Dr. Ambedkar was appointed as the Chairman of the Drafting Committee. The seven members of the ” Drafting Committee” were as follows :
1) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, Chairman
2) N. Goipalswami
3) Alladi Krishnaswami Ayyas
4) K.M. Munshi
5) Saijio Mola Saadulla
6) N. Madhava Rao and
7) D.P. Khaitan
Every year, Republic Day has been celeberated wholeheartedly with utmost enthusiasm , zeal and great spirit. The president of India hoists the flag at Rajpath every year, followed by a colourful parade showcasing the diversity of the country & military power.
THE EFFECT OF CORONA PANDEMIC ON REPUBLIC DAY
But this year due to the effects of COVID 19 pandemic , there are many changes in Republic Day Celeberation programs .
- The Republic Day parade, the highlight of the day which showcases India’s military power and cultural diversity will be shorter and will end at National Stadium in national capital Delhi rather than the Red Fort. According to Cabinet Minister Mr. Hardeep Puri, the parade will start from Rajpath and will end at National Stadium of India Gate.
- Indian-Origin President Of Suriname, Chandrikapersad Santokhi is likely to be the Chief Guest of India’s Republic Day parade on January 26*. The development came days after British PM Boris Johnson cancelled his visit to India over new Coronavirus strain fears, theorizing this year’s Republic day may be celebrated without a chief guest .
- The Parade length will be limited to 3.3 kms instead of the usual 8.2 kms.
- The marching corps or contingents will be smaller, with 96 participants in each squad that was earlier made up of 144 participants.
- Only one-fourth of the previous years spectators on Rajpath will be allowed .
- Children below the age of 15 and the elderly with co-morbidities will not be permitted at the parade.
- It is being speculated that martyrs of June 2020, Galwan Valley clash will be awarded with “bravery medals”. The 5 martyrs including 2 officers and 3 soldiers of 16th Bihar Regiment will be awarded with bravery medals.
FAQs about Republic Day :
Q. What is the Republic day and why it is celebrated in India?
A. Republic day is the day on which the constitution of India is adopted. It is celebrated as we become republic on this day after getting freedom from British raj.
Q. How do we celebrate Republic day?
A. Republic day is celebrated as by flag hoisting and parades by forces serving as army. It is also celebrated in schools and college. A special parade is organized at Rajpath in new Delhi. Sweets are also distributed at various places for the celebration of republic day.
Q. What is mean by Republic day?
A. Republic day is the day on which the constitution of India come in force.
Q. Who will host the flag on Republic day?
A. The flag will be hoisted by Indian president Mr. Ram Nath Kovind.
Q. Why do we celebrate 26 January as the Republic Day?
A. We celebrate republic day on 26 January because our constitution was adopted on this day.
Q. What is Samvidhan Divas?
A. Samvidhan divas or constitution day or National Law Day is the day on which the constitution of India was adopted . It is celebrated on 26 November every year.